Wednesday 30 March 2011

Oasis- Definitely Maybe




I have decided to look at one of an Oasis album cover as they are one of the biggest british bands of all time. Oasis lead the way in the "Brit Pop" movement of the early 1990s, drawing on influences from successful bands of the 1960s, such as The Beatles. Their songs were brilliantly written and had were intended to make statement about what was occurring culturally, politically and musically in the UK at the time. This movement was a combatant for the invasion of American grunge bands that was happening at the time. 

I believe that we can draw parallels between that movement and the current situation in the UK music industry. Towards beginning of this millennium the UK market was saturated with hip-hop, R 'n' B and Pop artists coming over from America, but since 2006 we have seen a revival of British music, with new artist such as Adele, Lily Allen and Tinie Tempah making the debuts. I believe that we are now in a Golden Age of British Music, with more British artists succeeding in "breaking america," and I think that the way Adele's new album has dominated world charts going straight to number one in more than 20 countries so far, with one of the tracks "Someone Like You" having a record breaking 9 consecutive weeks at number one. 

I think that my artist fits into this new age Brit Pop movement and I therefore thought it would be a good idea to look at some of Oasis' Album art. Here are my notes below:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment