Wednesday 6 April 2011

Album Artwork Summary

After doing research into album arts and the different conventions they must adhere to, I have decided that in order create the right style and image for my artist there are some certain things I need to do. I have been particularly inspired by the album art of Kate Nash,  as I believe that Ellie falls into a very similar genre. 
Kate Nash has a very bubbly and youthful personality that is shown in her music and I believe that Ellie is the same, although her music would appeal to an older market as well. This is something I had to consider when choosing the font for her brand logo/name. I had to get the right mix between youthfulness and fun, and class and maturity so that it enables her to appeal to a wide audience or age range. I also wanted the font to be lasting so when you see that style or font in years to come it would be associated with my artist. 
One thing I noticed whilst looking at album art, websites and adverts was that there is often an ancillary font. Whilst I wanted to convey a more grown up and classic feel with the “logo,” I wanted my ancillary font to be a juxtaposition that evokes an innocent and youthful feeling. The two fonts I have chosen are a completely different. I wanted them both to have a handwritten style, to give real and raw connotations, avoiding an overproduced look. I decided that I wanted the second font to be more like a child’s writing. I decided this when I listened to some more of Ellie’s music and talking to her about what her inspiration was. I found that the common theme was her youth (teen years) and I wanted to exaggerate this idea in my font choice. 
When thinking about her image I really wanted to play on the idea of her British/English nationality, as being British is a very fashionable at the moment, with many people liking the idea of tea drinking classic Brits. They enjoy the romanticism of it all. I like the idea of the back cover being a wall from an old English house, with worn floral wall paper and a gold photo frame, that may hang slightly wonky. This will hopefully convey a very rustic image, that is commonly seen within her genre. An example could be Angus & Julia Stone’s “Down the Way.”  It uses a really old photo that looks like it has faded in the light, which gives it real authenticity. I might achieve this look on album art by decreasing the saturation level and maybe adding a tan coloured filter. 


During my research process I noticed that an artist’s debut album is often self titled. This is done as the debut album is an introduction to this new artist, so their name being the only text gives it real significance. This is something I will employ on Ellie’s Album. I have also decided that because it is her debut album I am going to use an image of her as the front cover, this is to introduce her visually, so that we establish her “look.” I want the image to be really natural and for it to have this an aged and authentic feel to it. 
Along with the above the I noticed particular conventions I will have to include: 
  • Barcode on back cover
  • Record Label Logo
  • Copyright Information
  • Artist Name
  • Album name 
  • Track List (numbered, or in order of play)

No comments:

Post a Comment